12 Dec 2009

Zanzibar


I have been waiting for this all along - Zanzibar, the spice island. or as we say in German: "Da, wo der Pfeffer waechst'.
And I can say, I am not disappointed. The first place we stayed in was Stone Town - a world heritage site. Lots of narrow streets, old, beautiful but not very well kept buildings. It was a bit like Lisbon, but smaller and more Arabic influences. I loved the place. My favourite so far in terms of towns. Also, it has been by far the most cosmopolitan place i have seen in Africa so far. Yes, pople do look at you, but there are no stares. All the street sellers back of quite quickly when one says "hapana asante" (no, thank you). The fresh see food is also gourgeous. I am loving it.




After a guided Spice Tour we went up North to the beach. Beautiful white, sandy beach. The water is very nice and warm and unbelievably clear. Snorkelig was facinating! I really enjoyed this place... until we went back to Stone Town to catch the ferry back to Dar Es Salam. I went to get some money and Barclays seemed like a good option. Well, the ATM "ate" my credit card, after I put in my pin number. No foreign mobile phone would call through to Germany for me to be able to cancel the card. And due to a power outage internet was not working either. T.I.A - this is africa at it's best. However, I "rented' a local mobile and am now using my back up card. So all is good. Hakuna Matata - no worries :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissi,

    was lernen wir aus Deinem Blog? Da wo der Pfeffer wächst, fressen Geldautomaten Kreditkarten ;)

    Alles Gute auf Deiner weiteren Reise,
    fühle Dich gedrückt,

    Deine Susi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, C
    Howzit ? Looks like you are having a really great time. Enjoy the rest of the "African Tour" and have a lovely Christmas. Talk Soon.

    Piet van Dublin

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey my name is Leela - i was playing around on the internet because i am looking to take a similar trip to what you are doing with intrepid as well (i recognize the map) how are the long drive days? are you having fun? any stuff you wish you had skipped or places you had more time in? cheers

    ReplyDelete